Physical Division of India
- The Thar Desert is located in the northwest of India and southeast of Pakistan.
- Most of the Indo Thar Desert is located in Rajasthan but some parts are also spread in Haryana, Punjab, Gujarat and Sindh and Punjab Provinces of Pakistan.
- The region receives less than 150 mm of rainfall per year.
- The vegetation is very less in this arid climate.
- Some rivers are seen only in the rainy season and after that, they dissolve in the sand.
- They do not reach the sea due to insufficient water.
- Only ‘Luni’ is the largest river in the region.
- Barkan crescent-shaped sand dunes extend over a much larger area, but vertical dunes are found prominently near the India-Pakistan border.
- Barchans (crescent-shaped dunes) in India are mostly found in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan.
- The Thar Desert is an undulating plain covered with sand dunes. Most of which is located in Pakistan.
- The Thar Desert is amazing.
- The sand here boils in summer.
- Temperatures up to 60 ° C have been recorded in this desert.
- Whereas in winter the temperature drops below zero.
- The strong winds of the desert in the summer move the sand dunes from one place to another and provide new shapes to the dunes.