FOOD: WHERE DOES IT COME FROM?
Ingredients- materials that are used to prepare any dish called ingredients.
- Dal is prepared from pulses, Water, salt, oil, ghee, species
- Vegetable curry is made with vegetable, salt, species, oil, and solon.
- Tea is made with water, tea leaves & sugar
Here above food items are made with some materials such as Dal with water, oil so on and similarly other items, so we call these materials as ingredients.
Now a question arises, where do these ingredients come from?
So here is a table which gives us a general idea of sources of ingredient-
source of our food. Plants have edible as eatable parts.
- Raddish which is used as salad and its leaves are used as vegetables.
- Banana is used as a fruit and its leaf used as plates in south India.
- Root system
- Shoot system
1. Root system consists of-
- Primary Roots : It is the central main root.
- Secondary Roots: branches of the primary root.
2. Shoot system consists of –
Those areas from which leaves, branches, and aerial roots grow out from stom.
The interval between two nodes.
What do animals eat?
|Animals which eat plants only.|
eg.-cow, goat etc.
|Animal which eat other animals.|
eg.- Tiger, Lion etc.
|Animal whic eat plant as well as animals.
eg.- Human, Bears,
1. Do you find that all living beings need the same kind of food?
No, all living beings eat different kinds of food. Some living beings are: –
Herbivores – who eat plants only.eg-cow, goat
Carnivores -depend on other animals for food. Eg- tiger, lion
Omnivores-some eat plants as well as animals Eg- a human being
2. Name five plants and their parts that we eat.
3. Match the items given in Column A with that in Column B
|Column A||Column B|
|Milk, Curd, Paneer, Ghee||Eat other animals|
|Spinach, Cauliflower, carrot||Eat plants and plant products|
|Lions and tigers||Are vegetables|
|Herbivores||Are all animal products|
|Column A||Column B|
|Milk, Curd, Paneer, Ghee||Are all animal products|
|Spinach, Cauliflower, carrot||Are vegetables|
|Lions and tigers||Eat other animals|
|Herbivores||Eat plants and plant products|
4. Fill up the blanks with the words given: herbivore, plant, milk, sugarcane, carnivore
(a) Tiger is a ____________________ because it eats only meat.
(b) Deer eats only plant products and so, is called ______________.
(c) Parrot eats only _________________ products.
(d) The ________________ that we drink, which comes from cows, buffaloes and goats is an animal product.
(e) We get sugar from ___________________.